NASA Advisory Council Research Subcommittee
The Research Subcommittee (RS, or "Subcommittee"), is a subcommittee of the Human Exploration and Operations Committee, a standing committee of the NASA Advisory Council (NAC). The Human Exploration and Operations (HEO) Committee advises the NASA Administrator through the NAC, on Agency strategic plans, programs, policies, and other matters pertinent to the Agency's responsibilities for human exploration and operations in space. Its advice spans basic research and applications under the purview of the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD). The RS is established to review and assess NASA's approach to research in support of human exploration. The Subcommittee will specifically review and assess NASA's approach, progress, and plans for developing strategies and capabilities that reduce technical barriers to future human exploration missions and strengthen national research participation in human space exploration.
The RS will support the HEO Committee in its missions by meeting the following objectives:
- - Provide advice and recommendations on the overall objectives, approach, content, and structure of research activities in HEOMD.
- - Provide assessments on the effectiveness of relationships between HEOMD's missions and stakeholders in the research and educational sectors.
Point of Contact for Human Exploration and Operations Committee: Dr. Bradley Carpenter, Executive Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. David E. Longnecker, chair, Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and member of the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine (IOM)
- Dr. Robert A. Altenkirch, The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Dr. M. Katherine Banks, Texas A&M University
- Dr. Jeffrey A. Hoffman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr. Terri L. Lomax, North Carolina State University
- Dr. Stein Sture, University of Colorado at Boulder
- Dr. Kathryn Thornton, University of Virginia
Meeting Minutes and Presentations
July 31, 2013 - NASA Headquarters
› Download Agenda Here
The Committee received the following presentations:
- › Human Research Program Overview - Steve Davison and Victor Schneider (10.1 MB PDF)
- › Advanced Exploration Systems - Dr. Chris Moore (4 MB PDF)
April 17, 2013 Meeting - NASA Headquarters
› Download Meeting Minutes Here
The Committee received the following presentation:
› Space Life and Physical Sciences (Dr. D. Marshall Porterfield) - 6.3MB PDF