John C. Stennis Space Center
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529-6000
NASA's Deputy Administrator Shana Dale presented 25 medals, 33 commendations and 15 group awards to employees during a March 3 ceremony at NASA's Stennis Space Center.
The awards honored employees whose efforts helped ensure the survival of the center and its occupants when Hurricane Katrina struck Aug. 29, and their efforts to help the region recover during the months that followed.
Dale said the employees displayed "selfless dedication in the face of danger," and encouraged residents of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Louisiana to continue the hard work of rebuilding the region.
"We are very much in debt," Dale said, "to the wonderful men and women of Stennis for saving us from what could have been a huge detour on the road to the planets. So, on behalf of the Administrator, I wish to extend my personal thanks to all of you who have demonstrated once again that not all of NASA's heroes fly in space."
"Despite their own losses, members of our work force joined together to not only help fellow employees and the surrounding community but also to ensure that the site itself was secure," said Stennis Space Center Director Rick Gilbrech. "Because of their dedication and hard work, Stennis Space Center is back in business and the employees are moving ahead with rebuilding their lives."
Center employees who received the NASA Outstanding Public Service Medals:
- Cheryl A. Bennett, Mississippi Space Services (MSS), Pearlington, Miss.
- Victoria M. Brown, MSS, Long Beach, Miss.
- William Kirt Bush, MSS, Kiln, Miss.
- Jon Paul Byrd, MSS, Waveland, Miss.
- Ethan W. Calder, MSS, Slidell, La.
- Marla A. Carpenter, MSS, Gulfport, Miss.
- Eric Crawford, MSS, Pearl River, La.
- John W. Davenport, MSS, Gulfport, Miss.
- James R. Freeman, MSS, Waveland, Miss.
- David A. Geiger, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, Long Beach, Miss.
- Lawrence Haynes Haselmaier, University of Southern Mississippi, Picayune, Miss.
- Catriona Ladner, MSS, Saucier, Miss.
- David Ladner, MSS, Perkinston, Miss.
- Steve E. McCord, MSS, Gulfport, Miss.
- Pat McCullough, MSS, Versailles, Ky.
- Michael E. McDaniel, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, Slidell, La.
- Michael V. McKinion, MSS, Bay St. Louis, Miss.
- Ron Moore, MSS, Carriere, Miss.
- Alan M. Phillips, MSS, Picayune, Miss.
- Porter J. Pryor, MSS, Daphne, Ala.
NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal recipients:
- Stanley G. Gill, NASA, Gulfport, Miss.
- Donald R. Griffith, NASA, Waveland, Miss.
- David A. Throckmorton, NASA, Diamondhead, Miss.
Employees who received the NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal:
- Ronald G. Magee, NASA, Bay St. Louis, Miss.
- Dale L. Sewell, NASA, Picayune, Miss.
In addition to the medal recipients, 33 employees were honored with the NASA Administrator's Commendation, given for exceptional or outstanding contributions to the center's Hurricane Katrina recovery effort. Fifteen group awards were also presented.
- end -