NASA News

Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468


Jan. 19, 1998
 
STATUS REPORT : S-19980119
 
 
KENNEDY SPACE CENTER SPACE SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT
 
 
4:40 PM EST

KSC Public Affairs Contact: Bruce Buckingham (fax 407-867-2692)
E-mail: Bruce.Buckingham-1@ksc.nasa.gov

MISSION: STS-89 -- 8th MIR DOCKING & SPACEHAB DM

VEHICLE: Endeavour/OV-105
LOCATION: Launch Pad 39A
TARGET KSC LAUNCH DATE/TIME: Jan. 22, 1998 at about 9:48 p.m. EST (preferred launch time)
LAUNCH WINDOW: 10 minute window (opens at about 9:43 p.m. EST)
MIR DOCKING DATE/TIME: Jan. 24 at about 3:12 p.m.
MIR UNDOCKING DATE/TIME: Jan. 29 at about 11:52 a.m.
TARGET KSC LANDING DATE/TIME: Jan. 31, 1998 at 5:36 p.m.
MISSION DURATION: 8 days, 19 hours, 48 minutes
CREW: Wilcutt, Edwards, Dunbar, Anderson, Reilly, Sharipov, Thomas (up), Wolf (down)
ORBITAL ALTITUDE and INCLINATION: 160 nautical miles/51.6 degrees
NOTE: Preparations continue for Thursday night's launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on mission STS-89. The countdown remains set to begin at 7 p.m. today at the T-43-hour mark. Over the weekend, mission managers discussed the issue of the hydraulic lines on auxiliary power unit No. 3 and determined the system is prepared to fly without concerns. This topic will be discussed one final time during the standard launch minus one day review at KSC on Wednesday.

Payload bay door closure was delayed Friday night due to the need to replace a portion of the door's seal. That work has been completed and the doors will be closed for flight early tomorrow morning. Aft compartment close-outs are also complete.

At 2:30 p.m. today, the crew of mission STS-89 arrived at KSC's Shuttle Landing Facility. During the next three days, they will review their mission flight plans and fly in their T-38 aircraft and Shuttle training aircraft.

Air Force weather forecasts are predicting a 60 percent chance of weather criteria violations on Thursday night with the main concern being thick cloud coverage in the KSC area. The 24-hour and 48-hour forecast shows a 40 percent chance of violation.

STS-89 SCHEDULED OPERATIONAL MILESTONES (dates are target only):

Launch countdown begins (7 p.m. Jan. 19)
Close payload bay doors for flight (Jan. 20)
Load onboard cryogenic storage tanks (3-11 p.m. Jan. 20)
Move Rotating Service Structure to launch position (4 a.m. Jan. 22)
Load cryogenics into external tank (about 12:32 p.m. Jan. 22)

 

- end -


text-only version of this release

To receive status reports and news releases issued from the Kennedy Space Center Newsroom electronically, send a blank e-mail message to ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov. To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail message to ksc-unsubscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov. The system will confirm your request via e-mail.