Image Credit: NASA
Now That's Taking a Little Off the Top!
Workers remove the 18,000-pound lamp room from the top of the historic Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as the first step in a refurbishment project scheduled for completion this summer. Still an active aid to navigation, the light itself was also removed for overhaul during the project after it was temporarily powered down in January 2006 by the Coast Guard.
During the refurbishment, significant hurricane damage will be repaired and the exterior's distinctive "daymark" horizontal stripes will be repainted. When the lamp room is restored and returned to the top of the structure, it will be topped with the original brass roof that is currently in storage.
Originally completed in 1868 and moved to its present location almost 30 years later, it is the only lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. The structure is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, and the Air Force is working in partnership with the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation to ensure the structure remains sound and continues to shine well into the future.
+ View High Resolution Image
+ View More Images
+ View Video (Real)
+ View Video (Windows)
+ Read Lighthouse History
Cheryl L. Mansfield
NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center