Jenna C. Maddix
Johnson Space Center, Houston
Johnson Space Center Contractor Recycling Partnership Participates in E-Waste Recycle Event
HOUSTON – On April 24, the JSC Contractor Recycling Partnership will host an electronic waste (E-waste) recycling event at Space Center Houston from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. This event is open and free to the public and allows anyone in the community to dispose up to five pieces of computer electronics in an environmentally friendly manner. The event is sponsored by EPA certified Hewlett-Packard with support of other NASA JSC contractors.
“This is an important event to provide to the JSC community. Providing an ethical and environmentally sound avenue to dispose of unwanted electronics is something that needs to happen in every community. Not only is recycling electronics important, but knowing and trusting your sponsor and recycling company is what makes this specific event stand out as an exceptional service to the community,” said Courtney Lindberg, Event Coordinator.
Examples of accepted material include all working and non-working:
Note – up to five acceptable products are accepted per car.
- Personal computers (includes desktop, PCs, laptops, and workstations)
- Monitors and flat panel displays
- Printers (ink and laser)
- Digital cameras
- Handheld computers
- Digital entertainment & telecommunications equipment (VCRs, Cell phones, Portable music devices)
- White goods including microwave ovens, washers and dryers are not acceptable
- TVs are not permitted
- Equipment containing radioactive materials, free flowing liquids, chlorofluorocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls, or other “Hazardous Wastes” as defined in and having the meaning ascribed in and listed under 40 §261.3 and the regulations promulgated hereunder, as amended from time to time.
The Contractor Recycling Partnership, which represents NASA JSC, is using an HP approved and certified recycling company, Sims Recycling Solutions. Items collected will not be shipped off to developing nations and will be handled in a responsible manner.
- end -
text-only version of this release