November 5, 1997
Johnson Space Center
As part of NASA’s comprehensive education program, the Johnson Space Center (JSC) Educator Resource Center (ERC) is now located at Space Center Houston. The ERC contributes to the nation’s educational goals by giving teachers the tools to expand and enhance scientific and technological competence of their students. Educators have immediate access to a wealth of information created by NASA’s programs, technologies, and discoveries.
The Educator Resource Center is free to all educators and has created a host of educational programs to make science come alive through teacher workshops, video programs, slide shows, internet access, video dubbing and NASA education materials. All educators, regardless of state of residence, are welcome to visit the ERC at Space Center Houston. In addition, there are many opportunities for educators to come in contact with experts in the space program and to provide them with hands on experience in order to add life to their classroom curriculum.
Space Center Houston enhances the visits of local and out of town educators with the following programs.
· NASA Education Materials - Jump into the future through NASA’s exciting activity guides. Guides are available for all grade levels. These activities focus on integrating math, science, and technology into the classroom. NASA educational and informational materials are provided at no cost. The ERC also offers information on how to purchase supplemental curriculum materials for a minimal fee.
· Internet Access - Explore NASA’s online webpages and resources at no cost to educators with the assistance of computer specialists. Look for NASA’s educational home page, spacelink, and quest sites.
· Trained Advisors - Certified teachers consult with the educator on classroom needs and project ideas.
· Educator Workshops - Experts facilitate training to help get the most out of NASA’s curriculum guides. Signing up is recommended, or a custom made workshop can be requested
· Lift-off to Learning Video Series - This state-of-the-art video production will capture the imagination of students of all ages. Shuttle astronauts share their in-flight experiences. These videos and more can be viewed and copied for the classroom at the ERC.
· Basic Admission Program - The ERC is open free of charge to educators. Space Center Houston’s customary parking fee is waived for educators visiting the ERC.
The Educator Resource Center is located inside Space Center Houston through the flight deck of the shuttle mock-up. The ERC’s operating hours are 8:30a.m. to 5:30p.m. on weekdays and weekend appointments are available. For more information on any of these programs please call 281-244-2129 or 800-972-0369 x2129.
- end -