NASA Glenn Research Center Name Change
On March 1, 1999, the Lewis Research Center was officially renamed the NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field. The name change was celebrated
with a full day of festivities on May 7, 1999.
On October 21, 1998, President Clinton signed an act into law stating that the center shall be designated the John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field. On March 1, 1999, NASA Administrator Daniel Goldin signed the official designation implementing the name change.
Sen. Mike DeWine of Ohio proposed the name change in an appropriations bill. According to DeWine, the name recognized the contributions of two outstanding men, Ohio Astronaut John H. Glenn
and the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics' (NACA's) first Executive Officer, George W. Lewis
The center is honored to bear the names of these two great men. The blending of names reflects the pioneering aerospace technology research that Glenn employees have performed throughout the center's history and will continue to perform in the future.
Official Press Release: NASA Announces Field Center Name Change
History of Center Names
||NACA Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory
||To reflect initial mission
||NACA Flight Propulsion Research Laboratory
||To reflect expanding role in propulsion research
||NACA Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory
||To honor George W. Lewis
|October 1, 1958
||NASA Lewis Research Center
||NACA dissolved and center officially became part of NASA
|March 1, 1999
||NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field
||To honor both John H. Glenn and George W. Lewis
|*NACA=National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NASA's predecessor)