Dryden Cooperative Education Program General Guidelines
Consideration and selection of students for appointment under the NASA DFRC Cooperative Education Program will be made regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin or non-disqualifying physical disability. Students are appointed on a Schedule B appointment. All appointments are for the full period extending from the initial appointment to a date not to exceed 120 days after completion of education and study-related work requirements.
Reasons for Termination
A student’s appointment may be terminated at any time for any of the following reasons:
- Change to a curriculum which will not qualify the student for positions occupied.
- Suspension, expulsion, or withdrawal from the educational institution.
- Unsatisfactory work performance or conduct.
- Failure to maintain academic standards.
- Physical unfitness for duty.
- Inability of the Agency for administrative reasons to retain the student in the job.
Careful consideration is given to the placement of Co-op students at the Dryden Flight Research Center. Students are placed in organizations that will provide experience to supplement classroom instruction. Co-ops have the opportunity to explore other areas at the Center where they may be interested in working. Reassignment requests must be coordinated with the NASA DFRC Co-op Coordinator.
- Enroll in the Cooperative Education Program at their college prior to returning to NASA Dryden Flight Research Center.
- Obtain prior approval from the NASA DFRC Co-op Coordinator before making any changes in a major field of study, college, or changes in school or work periods.
- Submit to the NASA DFRC Co-op Coordinator, official copies of quarterly or semester transcripts within 5 days of the date the educational institution makes them available. Transcripts are used to ensure program and promotion eligibility.
- Inform the NASA DFRC Co-op Coordinator of course selections prior to the start of each quarter/semester.
- Arrange for their own housing and transportation.
Notify the NASA DFRC Co-op Coordinator of current home address and work location address to insure receipt of important mailings, etc.
Co-op Promotion Guide
The following eligibility requirements must be satisfied for promotion to the next higher grade level. This criteria is consistent with the NASA qualification standard for Student Educational Employment Program positions:
Sophomore class standing - usually defined as 30 semester hours/45 quarter hours
Junior class standing - usually defined as 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours
Senior class standing - usually defined as 90 semester hours/135 quarter hours
**Official transcript must be received prior to the start of the pay period you begin working in order for your raise to become effective on that date**