Technician at engraving station. (NASA Photo). The Fabrication Group performs layout, fabrication, buildup, testing troubleshooting, repair, and modification of ground-based and airborne electronics.
Fabrication technicians work independently or as part of a team. They are responsible for all stages of a project's planning and development and work directly with engineers and other customers to resolve anomalies and clarify project requirements.
When a project is in the planning or development stages, the Fabrication Lab can aid engineers by providing the following services:
- Fabricating test boxes and instrumentation systems
- Recommending changes in design to facilitate fabrication and assembly
- "Ruggedization" of commercial-grade hardware to NASA specifications
- Evaluating and selecting materials, electrical components, and suppliers
- Populating PC board components using programmed automated pick and place solder dispensing. No need for stencils.
- Engraving plaques, faceplates, and equipment labels
- Heater blankets and controls
- Assembling and repairing Control Position Transducers
The Fabrication Group has one designated inspector and one QI inspector assigned to the lab. This allows inspection to be accomplished concurrently with fabrication, buildup, and testing.