Instrumentation Fabrication Branch - Fabrication Group
The Fabrication group is responsible for the layout, fabrication, buildup, testing troubleshooting, repair, and modification of ground based and airborne electronics.
Technician wiring test box
Fabrication technicians have the ability to work independently or as part of a team. They are responsible for all stages of a project's planning and development and work directly with engineers and other customers to resolve anomalies and clarify project requirements.
Technician assembling instrumentation pallet
When a project is in the planning or development stages, the Fabrication lab can aid engineers by providing the following services:
Technician at engraving station
- Fabrication of test boxes and instrumentation systems
- Recommending changes in design to facilitate fabrication and assembly
- "Ruggedization" of commercial grade hardware to NASA specifications
- Evaluation and selection of materials, electrical components and suppliers
- All phases of PCB manufacturing and production to include locally manufactured prototype single and double sided circuit boards as well as outsourcing of multi-layer analog, digital, and hybrid circuits
- PC board component population utilyzing programmed automated pick and place solder dispensing. No need for stencils.
- Engraving plaques, faceplates, and equipment labels
- Heater blankets and controls
- Assembly and repair of Control Position Transducers
The Fabrication group has three designated inspectors and one QI inspector assigned to the lab. This allows inspection to be accomplished concurrently with fabrication, buildup, and testing.
Technician manufacturing printed circuit board