We think comets are made of ice and other things like sand and rocks. Some people say comets are like dirty snowballs.
How is ice cream like a comet? Ice cream is made of frozen milk. Comets are made of frozen water. Comets are cold. Ice cream is cold. Comets are made with little rocks. Toppings are like little rocks.
Let's make ice cream!
What You Need
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
10 tablespoons table salt
1 pint-size plastic zipper bag
1 gallon-size plastic zipper bag
Crushed cookies or candies
How to Make It
1. Mix the milk, vanilla, and sugar in the small plastic bag.
2. Zip the small bag.
3. Fill the large bag half-full with ice. Add the salt.
4. Place the small bag inside the large bag.
5. Zip the large bag.
6. Shake the large bag, with the small bag inside, for about five minutes.
7. Gently squeeze the large bag. Is the milk mixture hard?
8. If the milk mixture feels like ice cream, it's done. If not, shake some more!
9. When it's ready, remove the small bag from the ice.
10. Rinse off the salt water from the small bag.
11. Open the small bag, add crushed cookies or candies, and enjoy!