Product Type: Lesson Plan/Activity
Audience: Educators, Informal Education
Grade Levels: 5-8
Publication Year: 2007
Product Number: EP-2007-08-93-MSFC
Subjects: General Science, Life Science, Space Science, Technology
This 5-E lesson will guide students in using the engineering design process to design a plant growth chamber for use on the lunar surface.
- Explain that design is a creative planning process that leads to useful products and systems.
- Identify criteria and constraints related to the design and development of a plant growth chamber on the lunar surface.
- Apply the engineering design process to solve a problem.
- Identify and describe the major steps in the engineering design process.
- Explain that brainstorming is a group problem-solving design process in which each person in the group presents his or her ideas in an open forum.
- Use criteria and constraints related to the design and development of a plant growth chamber to brainstorm possible design solutions.
- Analyze possible solutions to the design challenge.
- Select an approach to the design challenge.