This 5-E lesson will guide students in using the engineering design process to design a plant growth chamber for use on the lunar surface.
- Explain that design is a creative planning process that leads to useful products and systems.
- Identify criteria and constraints related to the design and development of a plant growth chamber on the lunar surface.
- Apply the engineering design process to solve a problem.
- Identify and describe the major steps in the engineering design process.
- Explain that brainstorming is a group problem-solving design process in which each person in the group presents his or her ideas in an open forum.
- Use criteria and constraints related to the design and development of a plant growth chamber to brainstorm possible design solutions.
- Analyze possible solutions to the design challenge.
- Select an approach to the design challenge.
This lesson includes a rubric.
Packing Up for the Moon -- Lesson 2
[503KB PDF file]
Lesson 2: Let's Design is part of the Packing Up for the Moon Educator Guide