Lesson 1: Identifying Criteria and Constraints
Design is a creative planning process that leads to useful products and systems. This 5-E lesson prepares students to identify the requirements for the design and development of a plant growth chamber for the lunar surface.
Packing Up for the Moon -- Lesson 1
- Explain how invention and innovation relate to the development of new products, processes and systems.
- Identify criteria and constraints related to the design and development of a lunar plant growth chamber on the lunar surface.
- Explain that requirements for a design are made up of criteria and constraints.
- Explain why there is no perfect design.
- Explain that an organism uses oxygen to burn food to release energy and that the energy was originally from sunlight.
- Determine the approximate ratio of two areas.
[357KB PDF file]
Lesson 1: Identifying Criteria and Constraints is part of the Packing Up for the Moon Educator Guide