Product Type: Educator Guide
Grade Levels: 10-12
Publication Year: 2009
Publication Number: EP-2009-03-43-MSFC
Subjects: Earth Science
Description: When humans colonize space, they will need to adapt the technologies and processes of disposing and using waste and natural resources to overcome the challenges of the new environment. Some of the objectives of the 5E (Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate/Extend, Evaluate) lessons in this unit are:
- Explain that technological problems must be researched before they can be solved.
- Identify the natural and man-made resources existing in space.
- List available space resources and analyze their potential to generate a profit.
- Provide examples of how making decisions about the use of technology involves weighing the trade-offs between positive and negative effects.
- Develop and communicate a business plan that reuses discarded man-made resources.
The unit includes a pre-/post- test and student sheets.
Transportation and Space: Reuse and Recycle - Transportation [5MB PDF file]
More Guides in the Human Exploration Project Series
Moon Munchies - Lunar Plant Growth Chamber (Grades K-4)
Moon Power - Energy and Power (Grades 1-5)
Lunar Colonization - Energy and Power (Grade 6)
Packing Up for the Moon - Lunar Plant Growth Chamber (Grades 5-8)
Creating a Space Exploration Infrastructure - Transportation (Grade 7)
Space Transportation: Reshooting the Moon - Transportation (Grade 8)
Engineering Design for Human Exploration - Energy and Power (Grades 9-12)
Lunar Plant Growth Chamber (Grades 9-12)
NASA: Moving Cargo - Transportation (Grade 9)