Product Type: Educator Guide
Audience: Educators, Informal Education
Grade Levels: 5-8
Publication Year: 2011
Product Number: EG-2011-08-00005-SSC
Subjects: General Science
Among the thousands of questions that need to be answered before astronauts travel to distant planets and asteroids is the question: How much food will they need and what foods can they take? Food for Thought includes five lesson plans that relate to food and nutrition and that are aligned to national education standards. During the five lessons, students will do the following:
- Research the caloric content and nutritional value of space foods.
- Construct and use calorimeters to measure the kilocalories (energy) contained in several food samples.
- Design and assemble a robot to perform a specific task using commercial robot kits or construct a simulated robot using various scrap materials.
- Investigate adhesion, cohesion, contact angle and capillary action in liquids.
- Create nutritional labels for their cookies.