RESPIRATION IN SPACE FLIGHT
Evaluating Cellular Energetics; Synthesis and Application of Lab 5
This problem focuses on the EECOM flight controller, who monitors the gas concentrations and pressures within the space shuttle cabin. Students are introduced to the space shuttle's CO2
removal process and will analyze respiration rates and metabolic activity from graphical data provided. They will relate gas production/consumption to respiration/metabolism and evaluate the physiological impact of changes in O2
concentrations to various human systems.
> Respiration in Space Flight Educator Edition (PDF 408 KB)
> Respiration in Space Flight Student Edition (PDF 242 KB)
> VIDEO: Interview of EECOM Flight Controller
- recall materials, procedures, and results of required cellular respiration lab;
- analyze respiration rates and metabolic activity from graphical data;
- relate gas production/consumption to respiration/metabolism;
- evaluate physiological impact of changes in O2/CO2 concentrations on various human systems; and
- propose changes needed to maintain O2/CO2 levels for crew health.