CARBON DIOXIDE REMOVAL - THERMODYNAMICS
This problem focuses on the Electrical, Environmental and Communications, or EECOM, flight controller and students are introduced to the space shuttle’s CO2 removal process. They will apply several concepts and equations of thermochemistry as they analyze this situation.
> Carbon Dioxide Removal - Thermodynamics Educator Edition (PDF 709 KB)
> Carbon Dioxide Removal - Thermodynamics Student Edition (PDF 332 KB)
> VIDEO: STS-132 Interview: Kristen Wollard (EECOM Flight Controller)
> VIDEO: NASA EDGE Tribute to the Space Shuttle
- find standard enthalpy change using Hess’s Law;
- determine the standard entropy change for a reaction;
- determine the standard free energy change for a reaction;
- use the sign of the standard free energy change to predict the spontaneity of a reaction; and
- determine the equilibrium constant for a reaction.